Wednesday, March 5, 2008

India Garden (Downtown)

Growing up I was always told I was a picky eater. When I went to college and sampled the many foods the world offered outside of red meat and a side dish of a potato, I realized I was not a picky eater I just didn't always care for meat and potatoes. I love Indian food and when Romeo offered up the Indian Garden as a meal destination I immediately said yes.

The Indian Garden has been one of "Indy's Best" for every year it has been open, according to Nuvo. I whole heatedly agree. The moment you walk in you are greeted by friendly and attentive staff. Though I have been to the India Garden on several occasions this is my first in their new location. When it was over on Illinois and I worked downtown we would fast a day before and go to the lunch buffet and binge with very little purging. They have two locations here in Indianapolis one downtown (obviously) and one in Broad Ripple. Both with the same high quality food and service.

One of the many things I like about the India Garden is that it is always clean. The digs are very nice, larger than their previous location and I am sure it comes in handy with the lunch crowd. One of the more popular destinations of the downtown lunch crowd and a reason I miss working in that area.

Ok let's talk food. I went with Romeo, Xena, and Coltin. When we arrived we ordered a few appetizers, the Vegetable Pakora and Paneer Pakora. Vegetable Pakora is chopped veggies batter dipped and deep fried. On the menu it is described as a fritter, with the plum sauce it is very good. Paneer Pakora is in essence fried cheese sticks, the difference it that it's homemade cheese (very good) in a chic pea batter. This isn't the kind of cheese stick one would get at White Castle at 3am after a night of heavy drinking, not that I have ever done anything remotely like that. Anyway, I could have had just that for dinner and been good, but why when there is so many other things to eat. For the main course I ordered the Chicken Tikka Masala. The menu describes it as "Oven-baked diced chicken cooked in a creamy sauce with fresh tomatoes and oriental spices". If you like Tikka Masala, and who doesn't really, this is some of the best I have had. Romeo ordered Chicken Vindaloo it's chicken and potatoes in a curry sauce. I tried some it was very good. Xena had the Chicken Shahi Korma, which is chicken cooked in creamy sauce with mild spices and sprinkled with nuts. I didn't get any of hers but I have had it before and again so very good. Coltin had the Shrimp Tikka Masala, pretty much what I had but with shrimp not chicken.

When ordering Indian food you are usually asked on a scale of 1-10 how spicy you want the food. With us obviously not being from India, our food was probably prepared on the, as Xena would put it, Gringo chart. Which pretty much means a 10 for us is still just a 6 for natives.I, not having Tums at home, ordered a mild 5. I love spicy food, however my stomach does not. When I have the proper medication at home I will be adventurous and go to the 8-9 route. Oh I almost forgot one of my favorite parts the Naan. Mmmmmmm... Naan... auchgle (drooling a la Homer Simpson.) Wiping the saliva off. Naan is a flat bread and of course we got the Garlic Naan. Whatever you get there always get the Naan.

I have never had a bad experience here. The wait staff is friendly and do a great job. The food is very authentic Indian cuisine, when you know people who grew up in India and they go there to eat that is what I call a good sign.

Of course with this evenings binging under... over... stretching my belt? I will be dropping in the Biggest Loser standings. I do blame my discovery of a world of food for my expanding waistline. When I was in high school I was borderline anorexic. Damn you tasty tasty food.


Downtown Location
207 North Delaware St,
Indianapolis, IN 46204
TEL : 317-634-6060
FAX : 317-634-2160

Broad Ripple Location
830 Broad Ripple Ave,
Indianapolis, IN 46220
TEL : 317-253-6060
FAX : 317-253-2832
www.indiagardenindy.com

No comments: