Tuesday, January 29, 2008

En casa en LaHacienda

As I mentioned in my personal blog, I tried a new restaurant Sunday afternoon. I wound up at LaHacienda after a failed attempt to get service at Buffalo Wild Wings at Washington Square Mall. I was seated and waited a full 15 minutes with only one person strolling by to say, "someone will be with you shortly." I'm disappointed at myself for not stopping and asking to see the manager. I worked in the service industry for about 5 years and have come to expect better than excellent service from my wait staff. When I receive it, I definitely tip my servers well and when I don't, they are made aware of my dissatisfaction. I'm not a bitch about it, it's just reflected in the tip I leave. On to the review.

LaHacienda appears to be a semi-local chain in Indiana with four locations in Indy and one in Muncie. I say "appears to be" because I've been to other cities with Mexican restaurants called LaHacienda...seems to be a pretty popular name.

I make no secret of the fact that I'm of mixed heritage and apparently my features and olive complexion lead people of Latino/Hispano/Mexican descent to believe that I'm one of them. The hostess greeted me in Spanish and when I responded in English, "one please, a booth if available," she responded, "yes, sir...right this way, please." The hostess informed me that Felix would be with me shortly and as she walked a way, a member of the floor staff appeared with a bowl of warm, crispy corn tortillas chips and two types of salsa, one mild and one medium. The salsas were both full-bodied and while the medium was spicy, the heat did not overpower the flavor. The chips were salted perfectly and had Alain been with me, he wouldn't have had to add extra (but probably would have anyway).

Felix appeared and greeted me in Spanish and when I responded in English, he understood. Of the 10 appetizers on the menu, I decided on the Chori Queso for $5.25. The queso is white Mexican cheese, definitely not the typical Velveeta orange you see on the shelves of your local grocer. It was creamy and mixed with bell peppers and onions and topped with chorizo sausage. Served with warm flour tortillas, it was a wonderful start to the meal. Chorizo is, unfortunately a greasy sausage so there was some run-off that turned my stomach for a minute, but I just stirred it all up. Problem solved.

While waiting for my entree, I noticed the decor. Truly traditional Mexican accoutrements down to the red, white and green flag swags draped on the walls and the pinatas and stars hanging from the ceiling. The only thing that would have enhanced my dining experience would have been jarabe tapatio or the Mexican Hat Dance.

The menu is quite large and somewhat intimidating with the various combinations, Hacienda Specialties and Mexican Specialties, but I decided on the Enchiladas Hacienda for $7.00. You get two corn tortilla enchiladas stuffed with cheese & chicken topped with rancho sauce, guacamole, sour cream & lettuce and served with rice & beans. It was very flavorful and once again, the spices were not overpowered by the heat. My entree arrived about 15 minutes after my appetizer so it was perfectly timed.

I wish I had thought about ordering a margarita so I could provide a bar review. They do have a fully-stocked bar with at least mid-level top shelf alcohols. It also appeared they have a full menu of domestic and imported beers and the menu boasts strawberry, pina colada, mango, peach & guava non-alcoholic smoothies for $2.50.

I really did receive so much food that I couldn't finish it all. While I was wiping my mouth, one of the managers walked by and greeted me in Spanish and I understood enough to realize that he asked me if everything was good. I told him (in English) that everything was very tasty and the service was great. Felix appeared a couple of minutes later and asked if I needed anything boxed up to go. I told him no and was pleased to see that the dishes went right into a bus tub. I've been to too many restaurants where I've seen food going right back into the kitchen and that always makes me kind of nervous.

So we've decided to use a flame system (one to four) for our reviews of the following aspects of our dining experience:



Buffalo Wild Wings lost my business, but as a result I found a quaint little gema mexicana practically in my backyard. I've also decided to take up Spanish. :-)

10202 East Washington Street - 317.897.1530
3874 Lafayette Road - 317.290.0755
6825 Graham Road/71st & SR 37 - 317.577.2689
12237 North Meridian Street (Carmel) - 317.566.9563
2620 South Madison Street (Muncie) - 765.289.0909

No comments: